Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Starting seeds

I thought I'd try my hand at starting a garden this year so I ordered a bunch of seeds in the mail.


I built this cheap seed warmer out of some rope lights and scrap sheet stock.  I used 3/4 melamine for the base and 1/2 birch ply for the strips.  I recessed the connection points down in with a router to make the top flush.  I used 3 rope lights and it keeps the soil temperature at about 75 to 80 degrees.

I used paper cups, cut in half, with holes poked in the bottom to start the seeds in.



I used seed starting mix, not soil.
I planted the following about 12 days ago and most of them have started coming up already.

12 Kossak Hybrid Kohlrabi
12 Lettuce
6 Spinich
9 Martino's Roma Tomato
9 Big Beef  Hybrid Tomato
10 Bell Boy Hybrid Pepper
3 Italian Oregano
3 Homemade Pickles Cucumber
3 Fanfare Hybrid Cucumber
10 Sweet Hearts Hybrid Tomato
4 Connecticut Field Pumpkin
6 Tudor Zinnia

No comments: